The RN to BSN Online Bachelors Degree in Nursing Explained
The RN to BSN online bachelor's degree in nursing is an educational program for a registered nurse with a diploma or an associate's degree in nursing, who wants to earn a baccalaureate degree in nursing (BSN).
Earning an RN-to-BSN online is the best possible option for nurses who work full time and have family responsibilities. For it offers these students the freedom to customize the program courses to suit their needs.
However, you should find out if the RN to BSN online degree program you're enrolled in is self-paced, or structured like that of a traditional class, where there is a designated start date.
What does a Bachelor Of Science Nursing (BSN) degree entail? Most colleges and universities offer this course as a four to five year program. However, while the program trains nurses for hospital and other health care settings, on the main, it prepares the student to assume leadership positions in the health care industry.
Although each online college and university has different courses in their programs, here are the basic prerequisites you'll need for acceptance into an accredited online BSN program.
- A graduate of a diploma or associate degree in nursing from an accredited NLN (National League of Nursing) school
- Have completed 60 semester hours of prerequisite course work with a passing grade
- Character references from reliable sources i.e. teachers, and supervisors at work
How does the student attend classes?
- In general, the student logs on to the school's website, with a given password.
- Then checks the latest posted lecture materials for the subject matter.
- For questions or comments, the student has access to a discussion or bulletin board.
- There will be times that the instructor will schedule a one on one chat session or group session.
- The student is given a deadline for submitting the work and this is generally emailed to the instructor.
As for your clinical experiences, the general arrangement would be to have your practicum done at the city you live in, with guidance from your advisor.
The online school will then arrange a Contract of Association between them and the health care center or clinic in your community. A preceptor is then assigned to supervise your practicum.
Here's where your work connections will be of most help. You don't have to identify possible healthcare centers or clinics, and ask to work with them, instead you can perform the required clinical experiences right where you work!
It is certainly understandable if you hesitate about taking the plunge to take the RN to BSN online program, especially if you've been out of school for a long time.
Nevertheless, think of the benefits, career advancement, more participation on the health care aspects in your organization, and most importantly - the better salary!
Earn your Nursing Degree Online
Explore these accredited online nursing degree programs below and request free no obligation information from any that interest you. We recommend getting information from several schools so you can compare the programs, costs, time commitments and financial aid options.
Associate of Science - Nursing
The objective of our nursing programs is to provide students with the appropriate didactic theory and hands-on skills required to find entry-level positions as nurses in health care clinics and facilities. full degree description
Online Nursing Degree For Busy Nurses
Who Can Apply For Online Nursing Degrees?